The Workshop in the Symbols Cellar
Design: Visitor's House. Model of the basilica: Marcel Monnier. Tools of the builders: Patrice Meyer. Scenography: Ateliers des Forges,
The Basilica of Vezelay, a masterpiece of Romanesque art, is the fruit of an exceptional encounter between builders and monks:
- A solar orientated church,
- Summer solstice, winter solstice: what a dialogue between stone and sun?
- A plan in the image of the body ... the divine proportion? the Golden ratio !
- Cane of the master builder or "freelancer", compass, rope with thirteen knots: the simple and ingenious tools with which Europe has been covered with churches and cathedrals,
- Capitals reproduced within sight: decipher their timeless messages!